Pages

Friday, September 25, 2009

Finishes and a new start

Finishes, finally! Actually, they've been finished for a little while, but I've been waiting for the rain to stop and clouds to leave so I could take pictures.

A Whistling Girl is finally finshed. Although I liked the design, I wasn't crazy about using just one thread on 36 count, but I do see that it fits the piece.

a whistling girl

A Whistling Girl
Hands to work
36 count Examplar
recommended threads, one over two

The Amanson sampler is also finished. Whenever I work on a reproduction piece, I always wonder about the original stitcher. Can you imagine what Erika would think if she knew that her little sampler was being replicated today? Imagine how you would feel if in a hundred plus years someone found a sampler you stitched and reproduced it - that would be amazing! Reproduction stitching always reminds me of something written by Thomas Carlyle:

Past departs not, nothing that was worthy in the past departs; no Truth or Goodness realized by man ever dies, or can die; but is all still here, and recognized or not, lives and works through endless changes. ~"Characteristics" Thomas Carlyle, 1831~

Erika Katrina Amanson


Erika Katrina Amanson (1870)
The Essamplaire
32 count Vintage Examplar
conversion to Weeks, GAST

Since its release, I've wanted to stitch Blackbird Design's Sarah Tobias. I like the neatness and clean design of each motif. I converted the threads to NPI silks using Joy's conversion as a guide, and am in love with the color of this red thread (although the picture doesn't do it justice). It complements the mossy brown and different greens very nicely.

The first motif is missing its left flower and stem and will have to wait til later to add it as I really wanted to be done with it and move on to the next motif.

Sarah Tobias

Sarah Tobias
Blackbird Designs
40 count Vintage Light Examplar
NPI conversion


Hope you have a great weekend!

Fresh peach ice cream!

BabyGirl and BF - fresh peach ice cream!

12 comments:

Laurie in Iowa said...

Congrats on your two finishes Dona. They are both lovely. I like your start on Sarah Tobias too!

Michelle said...

Both finishes are GORGEOUS! I especially love the Amanson sampler. And your WIP of Sarah Tobias is stunning as well. I really want to stitch this one too. Love the colors!

Margaret said...

What great finishes, Dona! I love them both! Great conversion for the Amanson piece. And for Sarah Tobias too! The couple is very cute together. :D

Katrina said...

Love your finishes and your new start! Sarah Tobias is one that's on my short list.

Cute picture of your DD and her BF.

mainely stitching said...

I love them! They're gorgeous! Oh, everyone's already said that. But they are!! :D

JOLENE said...

Mmmmm peach ice cream.....ohhh, sorry still drooling! LOL Both finishes are beautiful and I fancy the first one with it's history of boo boo's in the pattern. Congrats!

Siobhán said...

Your baby girl and her BF are too cute! :) I know you miss her while she's away at college.

CONGRATULATIONS on the finishes!! Woohoo! They're beautiful. I think of that a lot--what would the original stitcher think of the fact that their sampler is being recreated a hundred+ years later? I always think of the mothers, that they must be glad that their children are being remembered years after they've passed away.

Great progress on Sarah Tobias! She was a fun stitch. I'll enjoy watching your progress.

Jan said...

Dona, my goodness, you have such lovely new finishes, and I love your progress on Sarah Tobias, gorgeous!!

The Scarlett House said...

Great finishes, Dona. I could go for some of that peach ice cream.

Roberta said...

Hey Dona, love the peach ice cream picture - cute couple!!

Your samplers are beautiful and Sarah Tobias is looking good. I love the needleroll that was in the booklet - I have it totally finished.

Take care - happy stitching --

Roberta

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Great finishes! A Whistling Girl is darling and what's not to love about those birds? The Amanson sampler is another beauty; congratulations on 2 wonderful finishes. I'll enjoy watching your progress on ST.

Your DD and her BF are so cute!

Joy said...

Dona, your finishes are just lovely. I, too, always wonder about the girls who stitched the original samplers.
I love the way the colors look on Sarah Tobias! I can't wait to see this one finished!